Friday, October 22, 2004

Egad, it's, like ... over!

So this is it, eh? And to think I was only just getting used to hearing Tama stumble over complex words in lectures! (I say this with the memory of what he said in our second-last tute, "nobody else is showing any restraint, why should you?")

I must admit to being a bit disconcerted by everyone's willingness to so readily identify themselves as a cyborg, although I'm not quite sure I can produce a good argument to disagree :-)
Early on I think most us interpreted being a "cyborg" as being at one with our technology, and although I suppose I fit this description I still like to believe that if cut off from my phone or computer, I'm able to improvise (although that might just be with more technology ...). But as I've mentioned a few times, I find it easier to agree with the later readings' interpretation of Haraway as being about the blurring of boundaries, particularly (but not just) those between nature and technology. This seems to me to be a very common thread in our contemporary society and one that digital technology is but one part of, and I suspect I'd have agreed to it sooner if I'd realised this was what Haraway was getting at! I quite doubt I'd have ever realised this fact if I hadn't done this unit.

As for blogs, well, what can I say, they seem to have been a resounding success. I think it was Orietta who described them as "like the forum in WebCT, but something we will actually use", but I think this was a tad cynical. Although there hasn't been too much spontaneous discussion, it has been quite thought-provoking to read through everyone's ideas here, especially since they're usually presented in more detail than what you can say in a few minutes of a tute. It would have been nice to see it used more, but then I suppose you can't expect too much from struggling over-worked students like us ...!

I think one of the most useful things I've taken from this unit is the idea of applying critical analysis much like what we do in other units in the context of online environments. I've seen a bit of writing about this before, but I've never thought about identity or community on the Internet in as much detail as we have this semester (hmm, can I start a debate here about the validity of applying ideas from 'real life' to virtual space?!). This was complemented by having an awesome tute group -- really, I've never had this much fun in a uni class (to quote Kat's first post here, "w00t!"). So thank you all, and good luck with essays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home